Tuesday, March 6, 2012

South Africa So Far

Well, after a week and a half of being on a different continent and not blogging a single word, here I am!....

Mostly because mom facebooked me and said, "You need to write on your blog! That's how I know what's on your mind." And that made me smile. (Yes, I DO talk to my mom, but usually I'm so busy telling her all the stuff that's going on, I don't always take the time to write my contemplations.)

I can't believe I've already been in Africa for a week and a half. It's so different!
And since I can't find the rushing fountain of words tonight to tell you everything that I would truly love for you to know about my time here so far, I'll just make a list:

10 African joys

1. An orange/pink sunset beyond the Bethesda gate every single night
2. The spirited clapping and singing that filled the small, hot room used for the church services
3. Barefeet. Everyone. All the time. Or at least sandals :-)
4. Beads that the kids use to make necklaces so they can sell them to teams that come through.
5. The adventure it is to cook dinner every night with such minimal experience in the kitchen as Emily and I possess.
6. The birds. Every day I think I hear a new and foreign bird call. I'd like to know what some of the kinds are....
7. One of the boys in my class knocking on our door tonight with a shoelace draped across his hand like it was a snake. These kids.... :-)
8. Talking with the Mixons in the car on the way to and from church.
9. Watching Emily's reaction to seeing a zebra and an ostrich on way to church the first week.
10. Taking a walk around the property after school with any number of kids telling stories and begging to "Run, maam!"

And I haven't even gotten to the classroom part yet!
I will say this - since getting here, God has been answering specific prayer requests, and some in miraculously unexpected ways. It's nothing good that we do, but He is faithful as his servants at Bethesda keep looking to Him for wisdom. That's the cool thing - they really do seek HIS will in all things.
Right down to the teachers that we work with. Two of them live together, and they have been praying for wisdom to get a new car. Monday morning, we found out that God heard their prayer, and answered with a $20,000 gift from their church! This amazing story renewed my confidence in His faithfulness to provide. It's so fun to watch the teachers tell everyone. They are like little kids bragging on how strong their daddy is (pardon the illustration). :-)

Another awesome thing that happened is one of the kids in my class (grade 5) accepted Christ as his Savior last week! He has been here at the Children's Home for years and he has known what he needs to do to get saved, but so many people have been praying for him to actually make the choice to DO IT. Thank the Lord that Thursday he brought it up on his own, and wanted to pray with Miss Small right there in the class storeroom!

God is good, and He certainly is at work here in South Africa.

3 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord!
    Kendra told me the other day that you are her best friend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great to hear from Janell. Glad your having such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! Sorry, every time you have popped up on fb to chat with me, it's been right when Emily needs the internet (we share it :-)

      Delete

Thanks for sharing with me!