Monday, August 9, 2010

A Friendly Reminder



"Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen."
                                                                       I John 5:21


On the fourth day since being home, I have realized how vitally important it is to keep my focus, even in the down time. After an entire summer of walking farther and closer with my God, I am still not immune to the distractions I face at home. Even on the days when I am stretched to the thinnest point, camp really does manage to have me on my best behavior. The spiritual struggle is heightened, and therefore so is my awareness of it. But it's just as important this week while I'm at home, though not so prominent.

It takes an alertness to cultivate a relationship - and that applies to ANYone I know. If I want to treat my family with the love and care they deserve before I go back to school, it's gonna take a conscious effort on my part. Just because I've known them "for forever" doesn't mean I can coast through the relationship for the rest of my days. They need to know EVERY day that I love them, and as we are changing and growing, there is always something new that I can discover in their lives while God has given me this wonderful opportunity to do so.

I ask you, my dear camp friends, how are YOU doing since you've been home? Is your relationship with our Lord still as vibrant and revered in your life as it was when you under pressure of camp? What's been clouding your vision lately?
It's so easy to slip into living for yourself once again and not even realize it. Don't forget Philippians 2:1-9 Let Him use you as a Christ-minded servant wherever you are.
Whether I'm at home or at camp or at school, there will forever be opportunity to discover new truths about God. The Christian life will not happen by accident. It's a choice. One that God readily rewards when I break down my idols and exalt Him above all.

Draw me nearer, Father.

2 comments:

  1. Blue Monkey...I wonder if we could get that nickname to stick around a while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you can try! But it only last during the week with the girls that knew the story behind it... :-P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing with me!