Monday, May 7, 2012

The Colors of a Summer Storm



Lush green pushes up on either side of the road. Leaves rustling as they tremble with the coming power. 
Gray clouds suspended low in the stormy sky. 
Blue is nowhere to be found.
Red taillights dancing on a rain-covered road. 
Green hue of the sky casts an eerie golden glow on everything I see. 
White lightning jetting across the sky like an instant, short-lived spider web. 


Blackness envelops. Wrapping my world in a thick blanket of moisture. It also brings the noise. Rain, hail, thunder. 
Beautiful blackness. 
And with a smile, I sleep. 


(I just have to point out first of all, how happy I have missed the Missouri storms so much! Also, in writing this poem, I realized that the verb tenses are all out of whack, jumping around from present tense, and back to perfect tense, then to past, and then back.

When I tried to change them all to align with each other, it didn't sound as fitting. This is because the sporadic tenses communicate the chaos of the storm and the varying elements that are all part of it. Finally, it settles back onto the present tense once more in order to convey the peace of the sleeper in a much more impacting way.

K, that one was for free. ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I love midwest storms! Not so much the tornado ones where we have to go to the basement... But a good fierce thunder/lightning one, I heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Julie. Sorry I haven't seen your blog in too long.... I'm getting used to the way this new blogger is set up! :-)

      Delete
  2. Pity you missed Pretoria's major summer thunderstorms... and we don't get tornadoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS a shame! Supposedly I was there during the rainy season... But there weren't very many storms at all! I just remember one really great lightning storm. It was beautiful!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing with me!