Monday, June 7, 2010

Simplicity

I took a walk today
Down an old dirt road. 
The snowcapped mountains rose regally in the distance,
While all around me, the hills shifted and dipped 
As if they were castles in a little boy's sandbox. 
The only thing larger than the flat land stretching out before me, 
Was the blue sky with the clouds billowing above me. 
A black spotted dog 
Abandoned his duty 
Overseeing the work of a tractor
To come say hi to me. 
I was flattered, 
But told him he should go back to where he came from. 

Still I kept walking
Down that old dirt road. 
The pebbles crunched beneath my feet. 
From there I could see the interstate.
A long way off. 
I could see the cars driving
Somewhere they needed to go,
To do something they needed to do. 
There was nothing I needed to do today. 
I wasn't worried for any cars;
I walked in the middle of the dirt road
Because I could.

I followed the curve
Of that old dirt road. 
Faces errupted in my mind
One at a time:
Old faces of family that I love
And left behind to come here.
New faces of friends that I met 
In the last several days. 
Unfamiliar faces that will have a name and a story
By the end of the summer. 
I kept walking. 
I did not give much worry for where I was going. 
But it didn't matter. 
All I knew is I was still on the same road I had started on, 
And that was the same way I would return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me!