Monday, June 28, 2010

Take My Yoke

Morning showers of necessary bug spray.
Intense games of Octagon ball and Nuke 'em.
Stimulating chalk talk drawings of the life of Joseph.
And perpetual, continuous giggling (This was my week....)

This week I thoroughly enjoyed my cabin of four junior age girls. Each one of them blessed my heart in her own unique way as she grew in God and deepened her knowledge of Him just throughout the week. None of them made an concrete decision, but I know God was at work in them. It was evident just through the good conversations we had, and the good questions they asked. I love to see the "lightbulb moment." The once confused look on their face is suddenly replaced with an "Oh, I get it!" realization in their eyes. It's like nothing else in the world. :-) 


I barely know where to begin in sharing every little minute detail of how God grew me in my walk of faith this week, but since the night is waxing old already and I have a bit of drive back to camp in the morning, I'll just share something from my time in the Word that really got me thinking ever since I read it... 

Matthew 11:28-30 says, 
"Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, 
and I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me,
for I am meek and lowly in heart: 
And ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." 

I don't exactly know why, but I've always thought of the yoke Christ refers to, as similar to a cross - like "taking up my cross" to follow him. 
      But a yoke is totally different. Jesus wasn't being vague or thoughtless when He used this particular word here. He really did mean a yoke. And what does a yoke do? 
      It puts two beings side by side to work as one. Jesus calls me to a "side by side" sort of relationship with Him. (I can always get closer, and I can never be too close.) Like the verse says, when I take the yoke I will learn from Him. When I am constantly walking with Christ He will teach me as we go along life's road - if I am constantly communing with Christ how could I NOT learn from Him!? 
      Also, He promises that He is meek and lowly. Gentle in heart. What a thing for the God of the universe to say about Himself! While He is also God, He wants to be approachable to me. Wow. 

     I have just stood in grateful awe of these verses ever since I read them. And I've prayed that I too would be an approachable person, just as my Master displayed in His own character. 

     Earnestly Desiring your Prayers that I would know best how to Serve During Next Week's Family Camp, 
Jel :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me!