Friday, August 19, 2011

The Eve of Change

There's a hope in my soul,
Health in my bones,
There's a light in my eyes,
And love in my home....

I have been blessed.
Far beyond words.

The farther I go, the more I appreciate home.
The more independent I become, the more I appreciate talking to mom and dad.
I love my life!
Right here, right now.
I even love that I'm not perfect - that I have room to grow, things to improve, something to anticipate.

It's hot in my room. I loaded up my stuff into my car tonight, and I am astounded at how little stuff I packed for college this time around! In fact, I keep racking my brain for something big that I MUST be forgetting! Is this seriously all I need for a full semester? Maybe I just need to accept the fact that I'm finally growing good at this whole packing thing....
There are many things about going to college that I don't know what to expect this year. I don't know how hard the workload will be in my classes (I'm expecting the hardest yet!), and I don't know who my roommate will be (or even what dorm I'll be living in!), and I don't know what the kids will be like at the new after-school program placement I have. It's crazy! I'm a senior in college, but in some ways I feel like this year is starting off fresh and full of potential :-)

And me? I am full of hope. Full of joy at the prospect of old much-loved experiences, and brand new opportunities and open doors. I say that with specific things in my mind, but not enough stamina to type them all out for you tonight. So sorry.

The thunder is rumbling outside, and the lightning is a spectacular reoccurring display. I don't feel super articulate right now (obviously by the fact I used nondescriptive, old-fashioned word like "super")

But I feel blessed.
Grateful to be emerging from a summer drenched in answered prayer and renewed awe.
This summer I truly got to know God better (a God who eagerly awaits to give good gifts to His children!).
But I can't just love God for what He can give me. That would be ever so shallow. I love Him for

Who He Is.

I'm so grateful for God's reassuring touch. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, tonight it was His Spirit speaking to me, as a Comforter and Friend (as I've been memorizing in John 14-15). God has granted me His peace.

"Not as the world gives...." But a peace that comes with knowing that I am HIS. He has plans for me. I will find out the next step of those plans in just a few short hours.
Up to this point I was trying to talk myself into being excited for school. I felt like I should be excited, but I just wasn't. There was too much to fear and not enough to look forward to.


But I am loved by the Prince of Peace. The everlasting God.
That alone is enough to give me hope.
For the future.
Forever.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post Janell! I needed the reminder that God wants to give to his children. sometimes I fell like I have to reason with him but he knows what is best
    Kyle S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad, Kyle. Thanks for commenting. I read back over the post, and realized just how much my thoughts were going everywhere last night! But definitely ended up in a good place. ttyl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing with me!