Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Full Circle

Tonight, I felt somewhat like a proud grandma. 

Wesley had his first big role performing with his preschool/kindergarten class in a play of the nativity. When I arrived home from college he was quick to offer an invite to the upcoming Christmas program. I eagerly accepted. 

Sitting in the fourth row of the school auditorium, I whipped out my camera - like the proud sister I am -  and snapped the best pictures I could manage. I can't wait for Wesley to see those pictures when he is older. Right now, it seems like just the next fun event for a 5 year old to look forward to, but in my mind it's more. 

You see, when I was in kindergarten, we performed that SAME play. Even to this day I still remember vivid details of my part as a shepherd. I remember my nervousness despite not having any lines to recite; I remember Kelsey Danner who played a sheep and how cute she looked in her little costume (sheep tail and all!); I even remember a slight twinge of jealousy at not getting to play Mary! 

And I remember the Christmas story coming alive to me. I'm sure that is not the first time I had heard it, but given the chance to step into that world (if only through a child's imagination) made me realize "Oh, this Really Happened. These were real people, and Jesus was a real live little baby on this earth." 

So, fourteen years later this is a full circle night. My little brother followed in my footsteps as a shepherd. And I was eager to be right there to document it. I hope this simple play was able to bring the Bible to life a bit more in his developing mind. He's still processing it... 

And it was SO CUTE to see! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me!