Saturday, March 5, 2011

Science stuff

So I was doing some research on what we could do for a biology/chemistry project, and I came up with these four ideas... I have to admit I'm a little fond of the crystal-making idea. I did that when I was homeschooled as a kid and it was SO cool!
I'm just not sure if I can justify it as an experiment following too closely to the steps of the scientific method!

Anyway, here are the ideas. I'd love a little feedback on what YOU think would be most interesting to present to a college class.... Thanks :-)

  • Do the same types of mold grow on all types of bread? Are certain preservativies better at inhibiting dangerous molds than others?
    • Mold grows fast – easily measurable by color
    • Easily researched – dangerous or harmless?
    • Gets attention – Mike could even take cool up-close pictures J
    • Leads to productive results, like studying preservativies

  • How permanent are permanent markers? What solvents (e.g., water, alcohol, vinegar, detergent solution) will remove the ink? Do different brands/types of markers produce the same results?
    • Easy to experiment by changing many different variables and discovering if the markers are truly as good as they say they are
    • Kind of like “we try it, before you buy it”
    • Could easily bring in all of the findings and a chart to exhibit before the class

  • Are all potato chips equally greasy (you can crush them to get uniform samples and look at the diameter of a grease spot on brown paper)? Is greasiness different if different oils are used (e.g., peanut versus soybean)?
    • Not a hard experiment, but interesting
    • Help teach people about what to look for in order to be more healthy (even in the midst of their unhealthy food choices)

  • We could grow our own crystals
That’d be kind of an adventure… Check out this website to see how many different kinds there are! http://chemistry.about.com/od/growingcrystals/tp/quickcrystals.htm

3 comments:

  1. I think that the mold experiment is the way to go! Sounds pretty interesting to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I unofficially did THAT as a kid too! Tried to see how many different types of mold I could grow. It was pretty sweet, though my mom thought I was crazy for doing it.... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a kid when my mom found mold on something she would generally throw it under the microscope... Yeah she awesome like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing with me!