Sunday, January 31, 2010

Fun Homework!

Do you ever have those assignments that you think are going to take a reasonable amount of time, and then somehow they stretch into double of what you thought it would be? 
Well I had one of those tonight. We were assigned to create a "Character development" worksheet for my Child Growth class. I thought maybe it would take an hour, tops. 
But what I didn't take into account, is that I spend alot of time on something I care about. And I care about this so 
much so that I wanted it to be as perfect as it possibly could be
. What might have taken an hour had I just slopped it toget
her, ended up taking me 3 hours! 

But that's okay. I love the final outcome!

The character 
trait I got most excited and inspired thinking about was humility, because that's something God has been revealing that I need to work on. Just when I get to thinking that I'm doing great, He brings to mind that that's exactly the kind of thinking that makes it dangerous for me. When I think I'm doing awesome on my own is when my humility and trust in the power of Christ alone is severely lacking. 
Anyway, I'm rambling. :-) 

Here is the finished 
product that I'm going to turn in tomorrow. It is geared toward a 4th-5th grader. 

HUMILITY

 Definition – Not thinking highly of yourself, but finding ways to serve those around you

Key Verses – Matthew 13:3-17, I Peter 5:5, Romans 12:3

Opposite – Pride

 * Most of the people in the world spend their days trying to make themselves look good. But the Christian’s goal should be to lift up others instead of himself. God desires for each of His children to have a heart that is humble. Grab your Bible and refer to these verses to see what God thinks about the man who isn’t humble. While you do that, answer the T/F questions below:

 T     F      Pride is the greatest of the seven deadly sins. (Prov 6:16-19)

T     F      Because pride is an issue of the heart, God has no control over someone who

               chooses to be proud. (Dan 4:37)

T     F      Jesus did not mind the Pharisees’ proud heart as long as they did all the right things on the outside.  (Matt 23:27-28)

T     F      The best way to lead people is to serve people. (Matt 23:11)

 


*
The Greatest Example of Humility:

            As the disciples gathered around the table for the Last Supper, they talked and joked with hardly a thought for what was coming up very soon. Jesus was well aware of the crucifixion that was going to take place in just a few short hours. He wanted to show the disciples one more lesson before it happened.

            Slowly and intently, he rose from his place and padded across the room to the water basin in the corner. He had the disciples’ full attention as he wrapped around himself the towel of an ordinary servant and began to gently wash the disciples’ grimy, disgusting feet. One by one he wetted and dried them, till he came all the way around to Peter.

             When he had sat back down, Jesus asked the disciples if they knew why he had done that. They all looked sheepishly around at one another. Not too long before, they had been arguing about who was the best among their group.

Jesus explained that the one who is truly “the best” is the one who is willing to be a servant. Even though he was the Lord of the Universe, he was willing to serve them as an example of humbleness like he wanted them to have. Did they think they could do different? Did they think they were greater than their Master? What about you? How dirty is YOUR towel?

 

If you live as a servant toward others, will you have a miserable life? _____________

Explain your answer:

________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________

 

*Great Ideas for Putting a Humble Heart into Practice this Week:

- Whenever you are tempted to judge other people, even if it is only in your mind, ask God to help you not to think highly of yourself.

-  Do not always be quick to talk about yourself. Ask questions about others and then listen closely to what they say.

(It looks slightly cooler than this when it's in the format of a word document. But I don't know how to upload it like that to my blog but, you get the idea!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me!