Thursday, March 11, 2010

Captivating Thoughts

There are some jobs and some duties in life that demand your thinking. You must reign it in and commit it to a certain task for so many hours of the day. 
If you're in school, you HAVE to think about the lecture. If you're serving tables in a restaurant, you HAVE to think about the food. If you're a heart surgeon, then for those hours during surgery at least, your mind must be restricted to thinking about only certain things. (preferably for the patient's sake anyway!)

But a week's break from school shows me what truly occupies my thoughts. What do I think about while I drive? Right before I go to sleep? Where does my mind travel when I am free to think about whatever I desire? Do my thoughts rest on Christ? Do they automatically go to Him? 

For me, it has been music and teaching. These things pull my mind in their direction, like a magnet to its partner. But now I'm thinking, 
"How many of these thoughts have been WASTED?" 
As a Christian I am responsible to channel my thoughts even during the break-times. Taking them captive. Setting them as an offering before the throne of my King. What would HE have me think about? 
Would He want critical, judgmental thoughts? Worried thoughts? Discontented thoughts?

Are my thoughts pure and lovely before Him? 

I decide what I think about. 
What I think about decides who I am. 

1 comment:

  1. What a huge encouragement this is!! How it must grieve our Holy God to know that our thoughts are not, as you put it, "pure and lovely before Him". Thank you for the wonderful reminder that everything we do, not just our thoughts, should always be pleasing to the Lord!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing with me!