Saturday, March 13, 2010

One Small Act


At work today, I was part of a scene that touched me in a really special way. 
The table I was serving called me over and asked, "Could we have her check?" indicating a tiny, elderly lady who comes in regularly. I was completely thrown off kilter for a moment, but then I realized they were wanting to pay her bill....

With my mind soaring at the privelidge to be let in on the conspiring, I searched out my coworker who had been serving the unknowing recipient of this good deed. I explained the situation and with a shrug he handed over what I needed. Receipt in hand, I stealthily delivered it to my table and watched as they quietly and humbly carried through with their intentions at the register. Mission accomplished. 

Then, about 20 minutes later, I watched as her waiter informed her that she would not have to be paying for today's bill because somebody had already taken care of it. There were tears in her tender eyes as she whispered a heartfelt thank you to the faceless benefactor. Who knows how much she needed it? If it had been the timely answer to her prayers, only God would know that. 

That one small act of kindness completely showered light into someone's heart. It doesn't take much. Just a little thought. Just a little observation of the people around you and what needs they might have. How can I meet the need in someone's life? Sometimes it makes all the more impact if they don't even know where it came from. I might never know the difference of that one small act this side of heaven! 

How long has it been since I gave something without any motive of receiving in return? Those people today did not even have the pleasure of seeing news of their kindness delivered. That was mine to enjoy.

And mine to learn from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me!