Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Teacher Chatter


(These are a couple of amazing teachers- Jen, my friend from church with the biggest most genuine smile I know, and Kristen, who dearly encouraged me with her warm welcome to her classroom today. :-)

Did I ever tell you, my little blog, how very much I want to be a teacher??

"Once or twice," you might say with a sigh and a roll of the eyes. 

But oh it's so true! I just can't help but talk about teaching. When something is imprinted so deeply on your heart and you feel so passionately about it, you just can't help but keep coming back to it in your thinking and your conversation. 

(What is it for you? 
Is it writing a captivating fiction story? 
Is it turning a recipee from a book into a delicious reality on the table? 
Is it blaring your tuba music?...)

How does God want to use the loves He has given you to bring glory to Himself? 
Because believe me, if you give them to Him, He WILL!

He's slowly impressing upon me that I don't have to be "THE best at" something.... But I should be the best I can be with what He's given me. I get intimidated and discouraged thinking how many Good/Great/Exceptional teachers are out there! 
Who am I to come barging into the profession hoping to bring something new to the table? 

But I realize that I just have to be available. The heart of a servant is not to be seen as the best; it's simply to be used to brighten the little corner of the world God has entrusted to me. 

All that to say, I spent an amazing day today at the public school in my area, watching second grade! I loved how the sweet teacher never had to raise her voice when she wanted to maintain order. Some people have the misconception that “louder = more in control.” This is not necessarily the case, as I found with her. She simply asked them to clap once if they could hear her voice. She did not stress about the little stuff, and she foresaw problems and stopped them before they had a chance to happen. I really admired her gentle, predicable, and consistent spirit. It was a joy to be in her classroom. When I told her this, she informed me that if you start the day off with a rushed and stressed attitude then that is how the rest of the day will go. You really have to have that defining moment where you gain a self control of your own spirit so that you will be a good example to the kids in that.

            She said that there are many needs within her classroom. It surprises and overwhelms her at times. At least four or five kids in her class have families in a special program to receive food from the school. A large number are dealing with parents going through divorces or other problematic family situations that are difficult on them. My heart goes out to these kids. I hope I am able to teach kids like that some day, not only to give them a handle on the joys of reading and the importance of mathematics, but also to assure them they can trust in the Lord to be their strength through the pains.

            Overall, it was an incredibly encouraging day! There was so much new and extravagant technology that the students and teachers were able to utilize for better learning. The kids at the public school are very blessed in the area of material and tangible things. I only wish they were so rich in the important things of life that cannot be felt and seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me!